Toggle menu

Replacement certificates

A replacement Birth, Death, Marriage or Civil Partnership Registration certificate can be obtained from any registration office in Scotland. In Dumfries and Galloway we are able to accept telephone, email/written and personal applications.

Email/Written Applications

You can apply by email or postal letter giving full details of the entry you require together.  You can send a cheque or postal order made payable to 'Dumfries and Galloway Council' with your postal letter, or pay be debit or credit card.

Telephone Applications

If you wish to apply via telephone please call us on 030 33 33 3000.  Payment can be made with a credit or debit card.

Personal Applications

If you wish to make an application in person please telephone us in advance to make an appointment by calling 030 33 33 3000.


You'll have to pay a fee for your certificate:

  • At the time of registration or within one month of registering an event - £10
  • When providing showing an original certificate - £10
  • All other copies - £15

There is a £7 charge to send the replacement certificate to you by post. 

How to Pay
There are a number of ways to pay for your marriage or civil partnership fees:

  • Send a cheque (payable to Dumfries and Galloway Council) with your written postal application
  • Pay online using the Pay It option at using a debit or credit card.
  • Telephone the Registration Service on 030 33 33 3000 (choose option to register a birth, death or marriage) to pay by debit or credit card. 

To be able to pay your fees online, once your request for a replacement certificate has been received. we will process your request and send you an email with a reference number and instructions on how to make payment online at

Please note:  You cannot make payment online until you received a reference number from the Registrar.  Please provide a contact email address and daytime telephone number with your request.


We are able to offer certificates from 1855 onwards.